- The milk that is used to make Keens Cheddar is produced by our own cows, grazing on our own land – We are a Somerset Cheddar Producer, our climate is perfect for growing luxurious and fresh grass, the diet our cows receive can only be described as ‘lush’.
- The cheese making process begins within 12 hours of milking. The milk is not stored. The milk is not transported (well, we transport it 50 yards to our dairy). The milk is not tampered with. We use only raw, unpasteurised milk. This is why you will find our cheese to be a playground of exciting flavours.
- We use a hand making process, all decisions about what to do next, how to do it, why to do it and how long to do it for are made by a real life person, not a brainless piece of machinery….. This is just one of the reasons our cheese is a true artisan product and not just a chip off the old block. You could say it has truly unique personality.
- Our cheese is then made in a round mould, the traditional way. Then it really is pampered. For three days it is pressed and bathed in hot water. This ensures it behaves like true cheddar should with a super crumbly texture.
- It is then given its own spot on a shelf where it matures gracefully for up to 12 months. You won’t find Keens Cheddar stacked like sardines in a corner somewhere.
- And while the cheese is growing in personality and depth it is turned, by hand, on a regular basis to ensure the quality is consistent throughout the entire truckle. And just to make sure we are providing the perfect end product to our consumer it is graded at three, six and nine months of age.
The only reason you love Keens Cheddar so much is because we loved it first.